[ovs-discuss] OVS+DPDK

Pedro Serrano kpiq at gmx.us
Fri May 25 21:18:08 UTC 2018

Greetings,

My computer is setup using Ubuntu 18.04 with OVS 2.90 and dpdk 17.11.2-1.
 I'm attempting to create a few virtual ports (type dkdkvhostuserclient) on
my OVS bridge (datapath_type=netdev) and assign an IP addresses to them.

ovs-vsctl add-br ovdkibr1 -- set bridge ovdkibr1 datapath_type=netdev
ovs-vsctl set Bridge ovdkibr1 stp_enable=false
ovs-vsctl add-port ovdkibr1 ovdkibr1p1 -- set Interface ovdkibr1p1
type=dpdkvhostuserclient mtu_request=8996
ovs-vsctl add-port ovdkibr1 ovdkibr1p2 -- set Interface ovdkibr1p2
type=dpdkvhostuserclient mtu_request=8996

I've noticed that those virtual devices are not visible in the kernel space
(unlike type=tap or type=dpdk).   Since they are not visible to the kernel
they can't be configured using the "ip address add" command.

Since the iproute2 tools can't see these devices, is there any way to
assign IP addresses, VLANs, etc to these devices?

Regards

Pedro