[ovs-discuss] 100G with OvS

Joel Wirāmu Pauling joel at aenertia.net
Thu Nov 1 22:29:28 UTC 2018

Yes - it's only really possible with Vendor offload tricks i.e ASAP2
on the Mellanox X5 works well for 100G on commodity silicon.

You will need an OVS and Kernel stack that support said offload tricks.

Currently - doing slow-path through commodity x86 silicon you are
pretty much capped at 40gbit; so beyond a few use cases where you are
say writting to an NVME array directly within minimal CPU interaction
100G to nodes is relatively limited. I've read several relatively good
analysis which indicate that we are close to physical limits when we
hit around 130Gbit with Ethernet ; but currently 40Gbit through
existing x86_64 architectures is about spot on.

25Gbit is a sweet spot because you can actually do processing of
things on the CPU's anything higher and you might as well go to
purpose built switch infra and you can do it without Vendor offload
tricks like ASAP2/DPDK which remove the ability of the kernel having
meaningful interaction with the flow.

-Joel