[ovs-discuss] 100G with OvS

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Fri Nov 2 09:23:56 UTC 2018

> bounces at openvswitch.org] On Behalf Of Joel Wiramu Pauling
> Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2018 10:29 PM
>
> Currently - doing slow-path through commodity x86 silicon you are pretty
> much capped at 40gbit; so beyond a few use cases where you are say
> writting to an NVME array directly within minimal CPU interaction 100G to
> nodes is relatively limited. I've read several relatively good analysis
which
> indicate that we are close to physical limits when we hit around 130Gbit
with
> Ethernet ; but currently 40Gbit through existing x86_64 architectures is
about
> spot on.

Hi Joel,

Thank you very much for the info,

I assume this limit is per physical NIC is that the case please?
(I'm wondering if I'd get a ~100Gbps worth of throughput (100G in + 100G
out) through the system as a whole -i.e. multiple interfaces, essentially
turning it into an OVS-router.

Would you please share what is the limiting factor?
(just found that PCIe 3.0 x16 should be capped at 126.075Gbps usable BW;
DDR3-2133 @ ~136.5Gbps and Intel® Xeon® Processor E5 Family it's 372.8 Gbps)

Thakn you very much

adam

netconsultings.com
::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::