[ovs-discuss] packet_type=legacy_l3 gre tunnel does not work

Gregory Rose gvrose8192 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 18:50:43 UTC 2018

On 10/22/2018 1:37 PM, Gregory Rose wrote:

> I was thinking there would be another subsequent call to set the
> parameters but evidently there is not.
> Let me do some investigation and find out whether this is a bug or
> just something that was never
> implemented.  If it was just never implemented then the documentation
> needs to be fixed up.

Hi Yousong,

I've completed my investigation and find that we do not create
APRHRD_IPGRE type devices with our GRE
tunnels - we create a GRE tap device and that is an ARPHRD_ETHER type
device.  The documentation is in
error concerning support for legacy_l3 packet types in the GRE kernel
datapath.

I'll update the documentation to state such.  The legacy_l3 packet type
for GRE is supported in
the user space datapath and I will note that as well in the updated
documentation.

Thanks for pointing this out and helping us improve the accuracy of our
documentation.

- Greg