[ovs-discuss] ErrorMsg after requesting flow stats using OpenFlow 15

Jozef Valko jozef.valko.285 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 20:12:03 UTC 2018

Hello all,
I am developing an SDN application using Ryu and Mininet. My goal is to
develop security module on the top of Ryu controller. Therefore, I need a
regular statistics update from the forwarders which are OVS bridges. For
this purpose I am using OFPFlowStatsRequest function provided by Ryu
parser. Below is the function which I am using:
[image: image.png]
This function runs in separate thread and sends the request every 10
seconds.
When I use this function with OpenFlow14 everything is fine, the controller
receives flow stats from the forwarder. But when I try to trigger this
function using OpenFlow15, the following error shows in the controller
window:
[image: image.png]
I tried to google this issue, searched in the specification and Ryubook but
I did not find any solution. Because Ryu doesn't crash, I suppose that this
is OVS-related issue.
The only difference between requests in OF14 and OF15 is the value of the
field 'type'. In case of OF14 it is 1 and in case of OF15 it is 17. Here is
the request before sending (OF15):
[image: image.png]
What can be an issue? How to properly request flow statistics from the OVS
forwarders using Ryu and OpenFlow15?
Versions of the applications:
Mininet - 2.3.0d4
Ryu - ryu-manager 4.29
OVS - ovs_version: "2.9.0"

PortStatsRequest function is working nicely in both OF14 and OF15.

Regards,
Jozef Valko.