[ovs-discuss] Issue when using local_ip with VXLAN tunnels in OVS

Gregory Rose gvrose8192 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 18:35:12 UTC 2018

Siva,

You have a routing issue.

See interalia
https://github.com/OpenNebula/one/issues/2161
http://wwwaem.brocade.com/content/html/en/brocade-validated-design/brocade-vcs-fabric-ip-storage-bvd/GUID-CB5BFC4D-B2BE-4E9C-BA91-7E7E9BD35FCC.html
http://blog.arunsriraman.com/2017/02/how-to-setting-up-gre-or-vxlan-tunnel.html

For this to work you must be able to ping from the local IP to the
remote IP *through* the remote IP address.As we have seen that doesn't work.

As an aside, why do you have two bridges to the same VMs?  Your
configuration makes it impossible to
set a route because  you have two sets of IP addresses and routes all on
two bridges going into the same
VMs.  In that configuration the local ip option makes  no sense. You
don't need it - you're already bridged.

I understand that you have seen the gre configuration work and I'm not
sure why because it has the same
requirements for the local ip to be routable through the remote ip. And
again, there is no point to the
local ip option because the ip addresses do not need to be routed to
reach each other.

In any case, I'm going to set up a valid configuration and then make
sure that the local ip option does work
or not.  I'll report back when I'm done.

Thanks,

- Greg