[ovs-discuss] Single iface, multiple bridges with selected trunks

mike+lists at yourtownonline.com mike+lists at yourtownonline.com
Tue Oct 2 17:31:50 UTC 2018

List,

    I have an environment with multiple ovs bridges, each containing a
real ethernet interface and one or more virtual interfaces belonging to
xen guests. I want to try and figure out how or if it's possible to
allow trunks containing distinct sets of 8021q tags, on a single
physical interface, to be set into different ovs bridges.

    For example:

    Lets say ixgbe0 is a 10gig interface, and it has vlans 100 - 399
present on it. What I may want is to say, ovs-bridge 'public', to have
ixgbe0 vlans 100 - 102, and ovs-bridge 'private' to have ixgbe0 vlans
200 - 202, and ovs-bridge 'dev' to have ixgbe0 300 - 302.

    I think I can create vlan subinterfaces:

ip link add link ixgbe0 name vlan100 type vlan id 100
ip link add link ixgbe0 name vlan101 type vlan id 101
ip link add link ixgbe0 name vlan102 type vlan id 102
ip link add link ixgbe0 name vlan200 type vlan id 200
ip link add link ixgbe0 name vlan201 type vlan id 201
ip link add link ixgbe0 name vlan202 type vlan id 202
ip link add link ixgbe0 name vlan300 type vlan id 300
ip link add link ixgbe0 name vlan301 type vlan id 301
ip link add link ixgbe0 name vlan302 type vlan id 302

    and then individually put each into the ovs-bridge, but this is
really ugly.

    It would be far more efficient to instead tell ovs to simply trunk
the required vlans in each of the ovs-bridges. This would cut down on
configuration effort, errors, and be far easier to maintain. Can anyone
suggest how this might be possible?

Thank you.

Mike-