[ovs-discuss] ovs-vswitchd consume high memory

mhzhang mhzhang at grandstream.cn
Tue Oct 9 08:34:41 UTC 2018

Hi,
Recently, I'v done some test with ovs-vswitchd, and the version were 2.5.2 and 2.9.2.
The test result shows that ovs-vswitchd consume high memory and didn't free it after test done.
Here is the test method and result.
TEST:
    Just send arp broadcast with mac address increase 1, 1000 packets for each one seconds.
Result:
1) datapath flow was stablished at 10K+.
$ovs-dpctl show
system at ovs-system:
        lookups: hit:7669 missed:53682 lost:0
        flows: 10194
        masks: hit:465184 total:9 hit/pkt:7.58
2) RSS of ovs-vswitchd goes to about 20M imediately and be stable.
$cat /proc/5586/status
Name:   ovs-vswitchd
State:  S (sleeping)
Tgid:   5586
Ngid:   0
Pid:    5586
PPid:   1
TracerPid:      0
Uid:    0       0       0       0
Gid:    0       0       0       0
FDSize: 256
Groups:
VmPeak:    31380 kB
VmSize:    31380 kB
VmLck:         0 kB
VmPin:         0 kB
VmHWM:     19844 kB
VmRSS:     19844 kB
VmData:    29260 kB
VmStk:       184 kB
VmExe:      1224 kB
VmLib:       508 kB
VmPTE:        34 kB
VmSwap:        0 kB

After stopping to send packet for half an hour, and all of the datapath flows was almost expired,
ovs-vswitchd still occupy about 20M memory. Curiously, based on this, I send packets
again, the memory of ovs-vswitchd didn't grow up obviously and the datapath flow was still 10K+.

Can anyone konw what happened to ovs-vswitchd. Any feedback would be appreciate.
Thanks.

2018-10-09

--
——