[ovs-discuss] Multicast snooping turned off on interfaces with a multicast querier/router

Flavio Leitner fbl at sysclose.org
Mon Sep 3 14:39:14 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 04:35:40PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> This test was part of the original commit by Flavio.
>
> Flavio, do you have any information?

Hi,

> On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 03:17:04PM -0700, Ajit Warrier wrote:
> > I confirmed from the source code that it is intentional. The snooping is
> > disabled on ports with routers attached in:
> >
> > lib/mcast-snooping.c:mcast_snooping_add_group()
> >

> >     /* Avoid duplicate packets. */
> >     if (mcast_snooping_mrouter_lookup(ms, vlan, port)
> >         || mcast_snooping_port_lookup(&ms->fport_list, port)) {
> >         return false;
> >     }
> >
> > It would be nice to know why this is so.

It's been a while, but IIRC it tracks three situations: ports with flood
enabled, ports with mcast router attached and ports with mcast clients.
There is a list for each situation.

You most probably see the mcast router in the mdb/show, but yeah, it
doesn't mix the types because then you would see the same packet being
forwarded because of the mcast router and another copy because of the
mcast host client.

I recall that there was a restriction when sending reports, but I
suspect we could fix the code to allow mcast hosts and routers in
the same port.

Could you tell more about your requirements?
Thanks
fbl

> > Thanks,
> > Ajit.

> > > two

> > > We've had a multicast snooping fixes over time.  If you're not using the
> > > latest release, please consider upgrading.

Flavio