[ovs-discuss] Creating system data path OVS in virtual machines

Justin Pettit jpettit at ovn.org
Wed Sep 19 21:31:38 UTC 2018

> On Sep 18, 2018, at 8:11 PM, karthik karra <karrakarthik88 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am not able to create a system data path OVS on virtual machines running on open stack. I am facing this error ovs-vsctl: Error detected while setting up ‘br0’.
>
> What could be the reason ?

It could be many things.  The ovs-vswitchd.log should contain some logging information.

> How two OVS interact on virtual machines? Will it be through GRE or VxLAN tunneling OR Are there any more means to achieve the communication ?

You have many options; it depends on what you want to accomplish.  If you want to use private addresses between them, you probably want to use tunnels (GRE, VxLAN, Geneve) or VLANs.  In terms of management, you could write fairly simple OpenFlow flows or, if you need to create a much larger topology, use something like OVN.  I believe there are many examples on the Internet of using both approaches with OVS.

--Justin