[ovs-discuss] How to start and shutdown ovs-vswitchd and ovsdb-server manually

Harsh Gondaliya harshgondaliya_vinodbhai at srmuniv.edu.in
Sat Apr 6 11:29:29 UTC 2019

I have a couple of questions at various steps in starting up OVS manually.
I have highlighted them here:

By reading the documentation, I have understood it such that first, we need
to start configuration database, then ovsdb-server and at last ovs-vswitchd

Starting Configuration Database:

$ mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/openvswitch
$ ovsdb-tool create /usr/local/etc/openvswitch/conf.db \
    vswitchd/vswitch.ovsschema

Q1) the second step give me error:

ovsdb-tool: failed to read schema: "vswitchd/vswitch.ovsschema" could
not be read as JSON (error opening "vswitchd/vswitch.ovsschema": No
such file or directory)

Configure ovsdb-server:
$ mkdir -p /usr/local/var/run/openvswitch
$ ovsdb-server --remote=punix:/usr/local/var/run/openvswitch/db.sock \
    --remote=db:Open_vSwitch,Open_vSwitch,manager_options \
    --private-key=db:Open_vSwitch,SSL,private_key \
    --certificate=db:Open_vSwitch,SSL,certificate \
    --bootstrap-ca-cert=db:Open_vSwitch,SSL,ca_cert \
    --pidfile --detach --log-file

Initialising database and starting ovs-vswitchd:
$ ovs-vsctl --no-wait init
$ ovs-vswitchd --pidfile --detach --log-file

Q2) How to shutdown OVS? I want to know what steps to follow to safely
shutdown OVS.
Q3) Do I need to perform all these steps each time I want to start my OVS?