[ovs-discuss] ovs-vswitchd port limit with OpenStack

William Konitzer wkonitzer at mirantis.com
Fri Apr 26 16:52:22 UTC 2019

Hi

I'm reading (http://www.openvswitch.org/support/dist-docs/ovs-vswitchd.8.txt section LIMITS) and it says "Performance will degrade beyond 1,024 ports per bridge due to fixed hash table sizing.” Do we have a little more info on what that means and what to expect for less experienced users like myself?

The background here is we’re working with OpenStack and seeing performance issues when lots of networks are created.. Once we have more than about 1500 ports on the br-int on a gateway node it seems to take a long time to add new ports.

I’m trying to quickly determine if we have a config issue, an Openstack issue or whether we’re hitting some sort of OVS limit as described. It seems to me that 1500 ports isn’t that many, but I’m not sure what sort of performance degradation I should be expecting above 1024 ports. The gateway node is so lightly loaded that I’d prefer to be able to handle a lot more networks on it before deploying another one.

Any thoughts or feedback very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Will