[ovs-discuss] DPDK-OVS Virtual switch setup

farhan.ahmed3 at wipro.com farhan.ahmed3 at wipro.com
Thu Dec 19 06:10:32 UTC 2019

Hi

We were trying to bring up a virtual switch setup using DPDK-19.11 and OVS-2.12.0 versions. The DPDk and OVS scripts compile successfully and we were  able to bring up a VMs using QEMU emulator version 2.12.1 and were able to access it by an ssh session. But the VM loses network connectivity after we do some basic UDP packet communication via the VM DPDK ports. The following error log is thrown :

qemu-system-x86_64: vhost VQ 0 ring restore failed: -1: Input/output error (5)
qemu-system-x86_64: Failed to read msg header. Read 0 instead of 12. Original r.
qemu-system-x86_64: vhost VQ 1 ring restore failed: -1: Invalid argument (22)
qemu-system-x86_64: Failed to read from slave.
qemu-system-x86_64: Failed to set msg fds.
qemu-system-x86_64: vhost VQ 0 ring restore failed: -1: Resource temporarily un)
qemu-system-x86_64: Failed to set msg fds.
qemu-system-x86_64: vhost VQ 1 ring restore failed: -1: Resource temporarily un)

Bringing up the same setup using DPDK-17.11.4 and OVS-2.9.0 works well.

We are unable to understand what prompted this error to come up. Is it an issue with the OVS version and its compatibility with the DPDK version or something else?

Any idea how this issue can be overcome.

Thanks & Regards

Farhan