[ovs-discuss] ovs performance between two vms on same host

Yogev Chaimovich yogev at cgstowernetworks.com
Mon Feb 25 06:06:02 UTC 2019

I have 2 vms over the same host (openstack compute).
Both vms have these vNICs attached:

  *   pci-passthrough 10Gbps (vNIC1)
  *   virtio (ovs) (vNIC2)
The traffic flows as follows:
Traffic generator -> pNIC -> [vm1 vNIC1 (passthrough) -> fwd -> vNIC2] -> OVS -> [vm2 vNIC2]
Because vNIC1 is passthrough, I can get to 10Gbps when redirecting back to vNIC1. But redirecting through OVS puts traffic down to 150Mbps.
I'm aware this is not ovs-dpdk, but as I've seen http://www.openvswitch.org/support/ovscon2014/18/1600-ovs_perf.pptx (here) it should get up to 1.1Gbps for 64B packets.
This is my host:
*         Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz
*         24 CPUs (HT)
*         VT-x enabled
*         32GB ram
*         Isolated cpus
Both the vms have
*         8 GB ram
*         3 CPU pinning (actually only 1 works redirecting the traffic)
All sibling-cpus are idle. I mean, I treat it as non-HT machine.
I'm using openstack rocky.
# ovs-vswitchd --version
ovs-vswitchd (Open vSwitch) 2.10.0
Is there anything I can do to boost native OVS performance? Doesn't 150Mbps look a bit slow?

Thanks,
Yogev