[ovs-discuss] How exactly OVS dispatch the Packet_In messages among different ODL controllers?

JINTING LIN Lin-Jinting at outlook.com
Mon Feb 25 05:58:58 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I am going to develop a load balancing application with ODL and OVS. But I am
not so sure about how exactly OVS dispatch the Packet_In messages among different
controllers.

The OpenFlow Switch Specification 1.5.1 only specifies that the OVS should connect
to all configured controllers ("When OpenFlow operation is initiated, the switch
must connect to all controllers it is configured with"), and the switch migration
process is initiated by (one) controller ("The hand-over between controllers is
initiated by the controllers themselves").

Thus, if a OVS has to send a large number of Packet_In messages to controller
due to the arrival of numerous flows. There could be several different methods:
1. Send all Packet_In messages to only one (master, or currently configured) controller?
2. Send all Packet_In messages to all controllers?
3. All controllers receive a separated part of these messages?
4. other method?
I am not so sure what it is going to happen.

I am glad to receive any reply, discussion and guidance on my question.

stormlin
2019-02-25