[ovs-discuss] ovs-vswitchd crashes when add or delete dpdk port

Ian Stokes ian.stokes at intel.com
Mon Jan 7 17:19:53 UTC 2019

On 1/7/2019 1:33 PM, txfh2007 via discuss wrote:
> Hi all:
>      I am running ovs with dpdk(version: ovs: 2.10.1,  dpdk:17.11.4), and the ovs bridge topo is as below, I have found a problem when I add dpdk port or delete this port, the command is "ovs-vsctl add-port br-prv dpdk0 -- set Interface dpdk0 type=dpdk options:dpdk-devargs=0000:05:00.0"
> ,after add dpdk port, the ovs-vswitchd process crashes.The gdb trace results show when add dpdk port on bridge br-prv, the 'connmgr_send_port_status' has been called, but the ofconn->protocol is unknown, then the process aborted. When I delete this port on br-prv, ovs-vswitchd also crashes, gdb trace result is below.
>      Can anyone tell me if I was wrong, and what should I do to solve this problem.
>      Many thanks!!
>
>        Bridge br-prv
>          Controller "tcp:127.0.0.1:6633"
>              is_connected: true
>          fail_mode: secure
>          Port phy-br-prv
>              Interface phy-br-prv
>                  type: patch
>          Port br-prv
>              Interface br-prv
>                  type: internal

I've tried but failed to replicate this on my own system using OVS
2.10.1 and DPDK 17.11.4. A few queries that could help root cause the
issue below.

Could you provide the log output from OVS in your deployment?

What type of HW is the DPDK device you are attempting to attach to br-prv?

Is it just HW DPDK ports that fail to add? Do you see the same issue if
you add and configure a vhost-user DPDK port?

Could you provide any other commands you are using to configure br-prv
(controller and fail mode commands).

Are you able to attach the DPDK device if you strip back the
configuration to a simple 1 bridge and 1 DPDK port (no controller, patch
ports or other bridges).

Regards
Ian