[ovs-discuss] Confused how to set up an STP loop topology on BPI switches

Christopher Hannon channon at hawk.iit.edu
Wed Jan 9 03:43:49 UTC 2019

 Hello all,

I am struggling to set up a simple topology and could use some advice. I am
trying to set up a loop topology using 4 Banana Pi R1 Routers running OVS.
http://www.banana-pi.org/r1.html.  The devices are advertised as 4 LAN
ports and 1 WAN port.
I want to set up a topology as such:  h1 is regular banana Pi and s1/2/3/4
are the router Pi s

                 -- s2 --
              /             \
h1 ----- s1              s4    --- h2
              \             /
                 -- s3 --

However what I discovered is that all the ports share a common ethernet
controller. So I set up the router as such:

/etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo net loopback

auto eth0.101 #wan
    iface eth0.101 inet dhcp
auto eth0.102 #lan
    iface eth0.102 inet static
    address 10.10.1.3
    netmask 255.255.255.0

and the /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/swconfig file
ifconfig eth0 up
swconfig dev set reset 1
swconfig dev set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev eth0 vlan 101 set ports '3 8t'
swconfig dev eth0 vlan 102 set ports '4 0 1 2 8t'
swconfig dev eth0 set apply 1

So when I enable STP/RSTP on the bridges containing eth0.102 they are all
in forwarding mode which causes a loop. However since all the ports are on
the same interface I suspect that they can not be set up properly. If one
interface was set to blocking it would look like

                 -- s2 --
              /             \
h1 ----- s1              s4    --- h2

                    s3

So I am wondering, is there is a better way to set up this kind of
configuration?

Additionally I have tried to add in a usb --> ethernet port on 1 of the
routers and added it to a separate bridge and ran STP. However it seems
that the two bridges can not talk to each other. So then I tried adding a
patch port on the two bridges on the 1 pi.

ovs-vsctl add-port <bridge name> <port name>
ovs-vsctl set interface <port name> type=patch
ovs-vsctl set interface <port name> options:peer=<peer name>

What would be the proper configuration for connecting this sort of network?

Thanks in advance,
~chris