[ovs-discuss] Help about "ovs-vsctl add-port" command

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Thu Jan 24 03:51:20 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 03:10:48AM +0000, pei Jikui wrote:
> 1) When I tried to add a port in ovs-version 2.8.1 via "ovs-vsctl add-port br0 port1" command, the following error hint occurred.
>
> "ovs-vsctl: Error detected while setting up 'poas': could not open network device poas (No such device).  See ovs-vswitchd log for details.
> ovs-vsctl: The default log directory is "/usr/local/ovs/var/log/openvswitch"."

We wrote this error message to encourage people to look at the log.  It
even says where the log is so that you can look at it more easily.
Despite that, you have not told us what is in the log.  Can you explain
how the error message could make this clearer?  We really are trying to
be helpful here, but numerous people read the error message and don't
actually pay any attention to it.  Why?

> 2) While the same command works well in ovs version2.0.0.
>
> 3) I googled and there is a answer saying that before adding a port into ovs, the port must be seen via "ifconfig -a" which mean it must exist before being added into ovs.
>
> Is the answer 3) is right? If yes, this is a behavior change from 2.0.0.? If 3) is not the right answer, how I could fix this?

3) is right and it has not changed since the very first version of OVS
in 2009.