[ovs-discuss] How does OVS gre packet flow

pei Jikui jkpei at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 14:20:34 UTC 2019

hi,

1) I am experimenting the OVS GRE tunnel with the following configurations with two hosts, HOSTA and HOSTB. The  experiment succeeded while I still could not understand how the packet flows between the two hosts.

There are two bridges created by ovs-vsct at each host (br1 and br2).  These two bridges in one Host aren't even connected then how the packets are forwarded between the two bridges in one host and among the two hosts hence? And how the packets are encapsulated with the GRE header?

2) test-bed and configuration

HostA with ip 10.128.0.155
HostB with ip 10.128.0.156

At HostA:
a)Create two bridges br1 and br2

   ovs-vsctl add-br br1

   ovs-vsctl add-br br2

b)Configure br1

  ovs-vsctl add-port br1 ens33

  ip addr flush dev ens33

  ip addr add 10.128.0.155/24 dev br1

c)Configure br2

  ovs-vsctl add-port br2 gre1 -- set interface gre1 type=gre options: remote_ip=10.128.0.156

  ip addr add 1.2.3.4/24 dev br2

  ip link set dev br2 up

At HostB:

a)Create two bridges br1 and br2

   ovs-vsctl add-br br1

   ovs-vsctl add-br br2

b)Configure br1

  ovs-vsctl add-port br1 ens33

  ip addr flush dev ens33

  ip addr add 10.128.0.156/24 dev br1

c)Configure br2

  ovs-vsctl add-port br2 gre1 -- set interface gre1 type=gre options: remote_ip=10.128.0.155

  ip addr add 1.2.3.4/24 dev br2

  ip link set dev br2 up

Thanks

Jikui