[ovs-discuss] GRE over IPv6 configuration

Eli Britstein elibr at mellanox.com
Tue Jun 4 15:13:02 UTC 2019

Hello,

I would like to configure a GRE tunnel over IPv6, on a Linux system.
However, I encounter the following:

My command:
ovs-vsctl add-port br1 gre6 -- set interface gre6 type=ip6gre

Output:
ovs-vsctl: Error detected while setting up 'gre6': could not add network
device gre6 to ofproto (Address family not supported by protocol).  See
ovs-vswitchd log for details.
ovs-vsctl: The default log directory is "/var/log/openvswitch".

In the log:
bridge|WARN|could not add network device gre6 to ofproto (Address family
not supported by protocol)

I notice that if I want to define a ip6gretap with “ip link”, there is a
need to use “-6” option, to set the correct family.

Is there a way to note the correct family (though I think should be
implicit by “ip6gre”)? Or maybe some other configuration?

Thanks,
Eli