[ovs-discuss] GRE over IPv6 configuration

Eli Britstein elibr at mellanox.com
Wed Jun 12 09:20:31 UTC 2019

On 6/11/2019 8:04 PM, Gregory Rose wrote:

On 6/6/2019 2:25 PM, Eli Britstein wrote:

Thanks, I really appreciate it. However, though I see you find it to
work on Ubuntu 16.04 with kernel 4.4 (I will try it myself too), I think
we should think how to fix the upstream tunnels (in Linux kernel),
without the need to replace some integrated modules with ones from OVS
tree. This is what I'm not clear about - which ones and what/how to do
to fix it.

OVS has to replace some integrated modules in Linux because on older versions of Linux they do not
have the required level of feature support.  If you configure your build correctly it will do the right
things in most cases.  As I mentioned though sometimes some breakage can get into the builds because
we do not test on every single distro/kernel version.  Specifically, we do not do much testing on Fedora
Core at all since not many of our user base make use of that distro.  Generally we do some build testing
against a variety of upstream kernels.  You can see what is supported in the .travis.yml file.

I have downloaded, installed and built OVS for FC 24.  The build is broken... And more to the point I get this
warning:
/home/roseg/prj/ovs-experimental/_build/datapath/linux/ip_gre.c:1125:36: warning: ‘ipgre_netdev_ops’ defined but not used [-Wunused-const-variable=]
 static const struct net_device_ops ipgre_netdev_ops = {

Then there are some other depmod errors but they don't seem related.

Did you have any luck with a different distro?

Actually not.

I started to code a support for upstream kernel. With this, the OVS port is created, as well as the netdev Linux device. I still don't have traffic, but I'm not sure it is not something else.

Could you please have a look (and even better try?) still need to tidy up

https://github.com/elibr-mellanox/linux/tree/ovs-ipv6-gre

- Greg