[ovs-discuss] Regarding TYPE=OVSPort in ifcfg-eth1 configuration

Bhutani, Sudhanshu Sudhanshu.Bhutani at Harman.com
Tue Mar 5 02:46:22 UTC 2019

Hi Ovs-experts,

We are observing some weird behaviour with openvswitch-2.9.2 version from community. We see our ports not being added to ovs-db when we reboot when we have following:-

This was not happening with openvswitch 2.5.2 version. We have similar config files on both the setup with TYPE=Ethernet.

We have following bridges : lan-br and test-br with following eths:
Lan-br has : eth2 and eth1
Test-br has: eth3

root at sudhanshu network-scripts]# more ifcfg-eth1
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=OVSPort >>> IF WE ADD THESE GREEN LINES, IT WORKS and ports are also added
OVS_BRIDGE=lan-br
DEVICE_TYPE=ovs
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=none
NM_CONTROLLED=no
NOZEROCONF=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=no
ZONE=public

[root at sudhanshu network-scripts]# more ifcfg-eth2
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=OVSPort
OVS_BRIDGE=lan-br
DEVICE_TYPE=ovs
DEVICE=eth2
BOOTPROTO=none
NM_CONTROLLED=no
NOZEROCONF=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=no
ZONE=public
[root at nfvis network-scripts]#

[root at nfvis network-scripts]# more ifcfg-eth3
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=OVSPort
OVS_BRIDGE=test-br
DEVICE_TYPE=ovs
DEVICE=eth3
BOOTPROTO=none
NM_CONTROLLED=no
NOZEROCONF=yes
IPV6_AUTOCONF=no
ZONE=public

Above configuration works good and we always see ports are not lost and db is intact and configuring del-port and add-port.

If we remove following lines from our /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1, eth2, eth3 respectively[RED ONES-STRIKED OUT], and we add TYPE=Ethernet, then we don’t see our ports being added to ovs-db.
root at sudhanshu network-scripts]# more ifcfg-eth1
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
[...]

By looking into the source code, we found that, we should always add TYPE=OVSPort in interface configuration. i.e we should always have these TYPE=OVSPort in ifcfg-eth1, ifcfg-eth2 ifcfg-eth3 files.

121     OVSPort)

122         ifup_ovs_bridge

123         ${OTHERSCRIPT} ${CONFIG} ${2}

124         # The port might be already in the database but not yet

125         # in the datapath.  So, remove the stale interface first.

126         ovs-vsctl -t ${TIMEOUT} \

127             -- --if-exists del-port "$OVS_BRIDGE" "$DEVICE" \

128             -- add-port "$OVS_BRIDGE" "$DEVICE" $OVS_OPTIONS ${OVS_EXTRA+-- $OVS_EXTRA}

129         OVSINTF=${DEVICE} /sbin/ifup "$OVS_BRIDGE"

Is it a mandate to have following configuration for ovs to recognize this port – even if port is ethernet type port?
Please let us your thoughts.

Regards
Sudhanshu Bhutani