[ovs-discuss] Unable to add VM with tap interface to OVS using libvrt

Harsh Gondaliya harshgondaliya_vinodbhai at srmuniv.edu.in
Wed Mar 6 13:10:58 UTC 2019

I want to attach two VMs to OVS using libvrt. I am following these steps:
http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/howto/libvirt/

I have OVS with DPDK configuration running. I have created br0 bridge
without mentioned datapath_type=netdev, i.e. I do not want to use DPDJ=K
datapath for this testing that I am doing currently. Also, the physical NIC
is attached to my br0 bridge. After I change the XML file following error
message pops up in Virtual Machine Manager:
*Error starting domain: internal error: Unable to add port vnet0 to OVS
bridge br0*
*Details:*
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 90, in
cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 126, in tmpcb
    callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/libvirtobject.py", line 83, in
newfn
    ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 1402, in
startup
    self._backend.create()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 1035, in create
    if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: internal error: Unable to add port vnet0 to OVS bridge br0

I am not able to figure out how to get this error sorted out. Any help in
this regard would be great.

Regards,
Harsh