[ovs-discuss] GRE interface packet receive procedure

pei Jikui jkpei at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 19 13:29:22 UTC 2019

hi,

1) I am reading the OVS source code about how a GRE interface in OVS receives packets into OVS bridge.

     I found there are two places that the GRE packets will possibly be received into OVS bridge.

    a) . The first place is when we create a gre interface with gre_create->ovs_netdev_link->netdev_rx_handler_register
          The register rx_handler is netdev_frame_hook which will receive the packets into the ovs bridge.

     b) The second place is located at the dp_init which will register a packet handler function gre_rcv for GRE protocol packets.
         gre_rcv will also receive the packets to OVS bridge.

2) My questions are,
     a)  Which is the real receive handler for the GRE packets?
     b) Is it possible that the packets could be received by both of the two cases. If yes, for which scenarios will be match to each one?

Thanks much.

Jikui