[ovs-discuss] Can we configure Sflow only for certain traffic?

Neil McKee neil.mckee at inmon.com
Mon Mar 25 17:44:41 UTC 2019

The sFlow mechanism is OVS is inherently ingress-only sampling,  so
per-port config would rarely make sense as it would result in only
half the picture for a given VM or link.  The sFlow philosophy is to
keep the agent as simple as possible and generate a standard feed that
can be used by more than one application.  So if a particular
application requires a special filter to be applied,  then that should
be done at the collector.

(It's not hard to receive an sFlow feed and forward a subset of it on.
Deploying a "first-receiver" sFlow collector to provide this
filtering-and-forwarding step has been done before. The filter may be
on ports, CIDRs, MAC addresses, protocols...   It wouldn't make sense
to push all those features into the switch.)

------
Neil McKee
InMon Corp.
http://www.inmon.com