[ovs-discuss] ovs 2.11 silently fails on archlinux + kernel 5.0

Fred Richards fredr at geexology.org
Mon May 6 11:51:02 UTC 2019

Hi friends,

 Long time openvswitch user here. I'm using it under Archlinux, and supporting kvm virtual machines under the commandline much like this example here: http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/howto/kvm/http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/howto/kvm/ (http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/howto/kvm/)

The issue I'm seeing, if I run my guests under any kernel 5.0+, it silently fails (nothing in the logs). I know this because I just booted into kernel 5.0.12, brought up two vms, and within a mintue or two they were no longer reachable/pingable, etc. When I first saw this behavior, I greatly simplified my ovs configuration, but still seeing the issue.

Remedied it by booting into kernel 4.19.38 (LTS for Archlinux). I'm a very good network engineer and linux sysadmin, and this one has me scratching my head.