[ovs-discuss] [OVN] Incremental processing patches

Daniel Alvarez Sanchez dalvarez at redhat.com
Tue May 7 16:04:14 UTC 2019

Hi folks,

After some conversations with Han (thanks for your time and great
talk!) at the Open Infrastructure Summit in Denver last week, here I
go with this - somehow crazy - idea.

Since DDlog approach for incremental processing is not going to happen
soon and Han's reported his patches to be working quite well and seem
to be production ready (please correct me if I'm wrong Han), would it
be possible to somehow enable those and then drop it after DDlog is in
a good shape?

Han keeps rebasing them [0] and I know we could use them but I think
that the whole OVN project would get better adoption if we could have
them in place in the main repo. The main downside is its complexity
but I wonder if we can live with it until DDlog becomes a reality.

Apologies in advance if this is just a terrible idea since I'm not
fully aware of what this exactly involves in terms of technical
complexity and feasibility. I believe that it'll make DDlog harder as
it'll have to deal with both approaches at the same time but looks
like the performance benefits are huge so worth to at least consider
it?

Thanks a lot!
Daniel

[0] https://github.com/hzhou8/ovs/tree/ip12_rebased_mar29