[ovs-discuss] ovs datastructure sw_flow_mask

pei Jikui jkpei at hotmail.com
Tue May 28 13:37:39 UTC 2019

hi,

We define the range, begin and end, for  the struct sw_flow_mask.  I am just wondering why we don't take use of the bitmap for it?

For example, if we we have an openflow rule which defines the "source mac and dstip for some certain actions".
1) based on the 'begin-end' mask design, we need to calculate the hash values based on the items from the source mac to the dstip.
2) if we use the bitmap for the mask, we could calculate the hash value only based on two items of source mac and dstip.

Comparing with 1), 2) is better for the speed of calculating the hash-value and it also saves some memory spaces (only a u32 bitmap is used instead of two u32 for begin and end)?

I know there are must be some reasons behind my current understanding and glade to know them.

Thanks.

Jikui