[ovs-discuss] Transferring OVS port data on migration

Michal Privoznik mprivozn at redhat.com
Thu May 30 08:41:18 UTC 2019

Hi,

I'm a libvirt developer and recently we were asked the following on our
list:

   https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2019-May/msg00851.html

Long story short, when libvirt is migrating a virtual machine that has a
NIC plugged into OVS then in the last phase when VM is suspended on the
source libvirt fetches internal state of OVS (port data), transfers it
to the destination and restores it there:

   ovs-vsctl --if-exists get Interface $ifname external_ids:PortData

   ovs-vsctl set Interface $ifname external_ids:PortData=$data

According to the linked e-mail in some cases there is no data to
transfer and thus this adds unnecessary downtime for VMs.

My question is, is what libvirt is doing still necessary (the code was
added to libvirt 7 years ago)? Is there a better way to transfer
internal state of OVS?

Thanks,
Michal