[ovs-discuss] OVS/OVN docker image for each stable release

aginwala aginwala at asu.edu
Tue Nov 12 08:50:38 UTC 2019

Thanks Guru.

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 1:03 PM Guru Shetty <guru at ovn.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 at 10:08, aginwala <aginwala at asu.edu> wrote:

>>> It is not clear to me. Is DKMS enabled here? Or is it that
>>> openvswitch/ovs:2.12.0_debian_4.15.0-66-generic will only work on
>>> kernel 4.15.0-66-generic?
>>>

>> No. Dkms is not enabled because idea is to release a new docker image for
>> every new kernel upgrade on compute (Not sure if dkms will help much in
>> container case as we are not installing on host). Do you have any specific
>> use case which? Yes on host with 4.15.0-66-generic.
>>

> It will probably be very hard to release each OVS version to so many
> available kernels. How do you decide which kernel that you want to release
> a image for? What is the plan here? I think it makes sense to release one
> image without a kernel module packed with it.
>
> Agree, we can't publish too many images based on different kernel
versions. Hence, I am ok with the approach you proposed by publishing
single image for each stable release leveraging host kernel modules. I have
pushed  2 debian images for each stable releases 2.11.2_debian and
 2.12.0_debian under openvswitch/ovs accordingly. I also sent the
corresponding patch https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1193372/ to refactor
the docker builds to support an option to skip kernel modules for ovs repo
so that user can choose to build/run with/without kernel modules. Let me
know further.