[ovs-discuss] include/sparse/rte_flow.h

Ilya Maximets i.maximets at ovn.org
Tue Nov 19 18:48:28 UTC 2019

On 19.11.2019 19:01, Eli Britstein wrote:

> On 11/19/2019 7:46 PM, Ilya Maximets wrote:

>> Hi.  DPDK headers before 18.11.3 has issues that makes sparse unhappy.
>> This header will be removed along with upgrade to 18.11.3 or higher.
>> Right now we're not experiencing issues with current version of
>> sparse header probably just because we're not using most of the functions.
> I see. Thanks.
>>
>> We're not going to update this header only remove.  You may update it in
>> your patches or base your changes on top of dpdk-latest branch where this
>> header already removed.
>
> So, what is the preferred way for submission?
>
> 1. cherry-pick those commits from dpdk-latest on top of master and my
> patches on top of that

This doesn't sound like a good option.
If sparse header needs only few small changes for your patches to work,
you may create a special patch for that.  If not, you may send patches
as-is but mention that these patches depends on a DPDK 18.11.3+ and another
patch that removes the sparse header.

> 2. submit directly on dpdk-latest

Not sure about this option because dpdk-latest is mostly for changes that
requires most recent DPDK, but this is not exactly your case.

>> I'm not sure when we're going to migrate to 18.11.{3,5}.
>> @Ian, @Kevin, is validation still in progress?  Does anyone work on this?
>
> Is it a question of "if" or "when"? what is the purpose of migrating to
> 18.11.3/5 and not to 19.11 soon?

18.11.3/5 requires validation + small patch for docs/CI.
19.11 requires additional development that didn't started yet
      + validation + patch for docs/CI.

Plus, 18.11 needs to be upgraded on previous versions of OVS too.

With current speed of development and validation I will not be surprised if
19.11 will not be supported in next OVS release.

Best regards, Ilya Maximets.