[ovs-discuss] Changing ovs-dpdk port link speed, duplex mode

Onkar Pednekar onkar3006 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 00:37:38 UTC 2019

Hi,

OVS version: 2.9.0
DPDK version: 17.11

I have bound physical 10G interfaces to dpdk and then attached to ovs as
dpdk ports.

Sample output from list interface:

*ovs-vsctl list interface port5*
_uuid               : 30090560-ded9-482f-92f2-68ac34fa8e1e
admin_state         : up
. . .
duplex              : full
. . .
link_speed          : 1000000000
link_state          : up
. . .
name                : "port5"
. . .
options             : {dpdk-devargs="0000:04:00.1"}
. . .
type                : dpdk

I want to know if there is a way through ovs or dpdk to turn off auto-neg
or explicitly change the negotiated link speed (say 10Gbps to 100Mbps) or
change the duplex to half.
For non-dpdk interfaces, I can use ethtool to change these parameters, but
want a way to do the same for dpdk bound interfaces.
I found online that we can provide the speed as options but that just
reflects in the options section of the above output, the link speed still
shows as before.

Thanks,
Onkar