[ovs-discuss] [OVN] Problem with HA Chassis failover

Daniel Alvarez Sanchez dalvarez at redhat.com
Thu Oct 17 13:15:31 UTC 2019

Hi folks,

We detected that when ovn-controller doesn't die gracefully leaving a
stale Chassis entry in the SB DB, the ports that were bound to that
chassis and belong to an HA Chassis group will not be failed over to
the next high prio chassis in the group.

Right now in OpenStack we're still using Gateway Chassis for router
ports but we're moving to HA Chassis groups for certain type of ports
like 'external' or 'virtual' and this is where we have hit the issue.
In the scenario that I described above, the router ports were failed
over correctly.

An easy way to reproduce is kill -9 ovn-controller and see that the
Port_Bindings go away from the ports but they're not claimed on any
other chassis.

Thanks,
Daniel