[ovs-discuss] Network bandwidth with Geneve and 10GBps NICs

Michał Nasiadka mnasiadka at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 17:03:41 UTC 2019

Hello,

I have a setup with OVN and two 10GE capable hosts.
I’m able to saturate around 6-7GBps of network traffic.

Testing is done with iperf using CentOS7 Virtual Machines on those hosts - no network tuning at all.

I tried running an iperf test against a VM on the same host - and I’m getting 32Gbps traffic rate.

NICs are Mellanox ConnectX-3 (not Pro) with standard settings.
The hosts have 6 cores (E5-1650 3.5GHz) and 64GB of memory - although looking at stats - neither of them is used a lot.

OpenvSwitch version: 2.11.0

NOTE: on the same setup using Tungsten Fabric vRouter I’m able to get around 9.6Gbits traffic (although it’s VXLAN, not Geneve).

Can anybody help me out with any pointers towards the cause and a solution?

—
Kind regards,
Michal Nasiadka