[ovs-discuss] GRE with link-local remote_ip: "not a valid IPv6 address"

Sven Gebauer mail at sgebauer.net
Mon Sep 2 14:20:00 UTC 2019

Am 27.08.19 um 19:17 schrieb Gregory Rose:

> Maybe someone else can help with that part but I'm curious why you feel
> the need to specify the link-local address.
>
> - Greg

Essentially, I'm trying to do GRE-over-Wireguard and need some kind of
addressing within the Wireguard tunnel. These addresses should not
collide with anything else in the tunnel endpoint's (unpredictable)
network environment. So IPv6 link-local addresses are the perfect
candidate here because the scope makes address collisions (across
interfaces of the same machine) impossible.

Anyway, this isn't supported right now according to Ben Pfaff's
response. So I will either have to use ULA addresses (more complex
because every tunnel endpoint needs to be configured with the same
random ULA prefix) or create the GRE tunnels using `ip` and then add
them to my OVS bridge as system interfaces (probably more CPU-overhead
compared to OVS-managed GRE tunnels?).