[ovs-discuss] QoS Queues on wireless interfaces

Calvin.Schmidt at web.de Calvin.Schmidt at web.de
Wed Sep 18 14:41:36 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I tried configuring queues with OpenFlow on ethernet interfaces and it worked just fine.
However if I set a specific queue on a flow with the set_queue action that outputs the packet to a wireless interface, it somehow is ignored and the default queue 0 is taken. I can set a certain bandwith on queue 0 and therby limit the bandwith however this is not sufficient for my use case.

I've run the following commands:

1. Create the QoS and Queues on wireless interface wlan0
ovs-vsctl -- set port wlan0 qos=@newqos -- --id=@newqos create qos type=linux-htb queues:1=@newqueue queues:2=@newqueue2 -- --id=@newqueue create queue other-config:min-rate=3000000 other-config:max-rate=3000000 -- --id=@newqueue2 create queue other-config:min-rate=8000000 other-config:max-rate=8000000

2. Check the Queues have been created

ovs-ofctl queue-get-config ovsbr wlan0 -O OpenFlow13

3. Create a flow that uses Queue 1 for HTTPS traffic

ovs-ofctl add-flow ovsbr priority=1,dl_type=0x800,nw_proto=6,tp_src=443,in_port="eth0.2",actions=set_queue:1,output:"wlan0" -O OpenFlow13

4. Check the flow has been created and packets are processed by it

ovs-ofctl dump-flows ovsbr -O OpenFlow13

5. Check if traffic is going through Queue 1 (unfortunately not)

ovs-ofctl queue-stats ovsbr -O OpenFlow13

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible to have multiple queues on a wireless interface that are managed by a set of flows?
2. What do I have to do to make it work?

I found this thread which seems to be related to the issue as well however I do not quite get it: https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-discuss/2013-August/030714.html

Any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks and kind regards,
Calvin