[ovs-discuss] VPP in Ubuntu 18.04.3 VM

Giridharan, Ganesan ggiridharan at rbbn.com
Mon Apr 6 16:59:17 UTC 2020

Good morning. This is my first post here looking for some guidance on building a certain type of test environment. I will try to concise it as much as possible.

VPP in a Ubuntu 18.04 VM

 1.  Configure VPP with either "dpdk" vhost mode or native VPP mode. Does not really matter for my testbed.
 2.  Start a container running "testpmd" in "txonly" mode. I basically use this to send packets to VPP bridge.
 3.  Start a container running a dpdk application that just picks up packet from rte_eth_rx_burst() and dumps it in the log.
 4.  Both containers use "virtio-user" as "vdev" to connect to VPP's "vhost" sockets.
 5.  Both interfaces are placed on a single bridge.

Case-1: Using DPDK vhost

 *   I am not seeing any packets sent by "testpmd" on this bridge.
 *   I have set "pcap trace rx intfc VHostEthernet1, think rx on this would be tx on "testpmd".
 *   I am not observing any packet indication.

Case-2: Using VPP native vhost

 *   Enable pcap trace on VirtualEthernet0/0/1
 *   Start testpmd to send packets.
 *   Packet indication is received on container-2.
 *   But all frames are NULL ( i.e contents are all zero ). But the length indicates some data.

Thanks
--GG

Notice: This e-mail together with any attachments may contain information of Ribbon Communications Inc. that
is confidential and/or proprietary for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review, disclosure, reliance or
distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender immediately and then delete all copies, including any attachments.