[ovs-discuss] [OVN]: Routing external traffic through a specific gateway

Alexander Constantinescu aconstan at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 11:11:13 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I am posting this here as I delved through the ovn-nb documentation for a
couple of days without any bright ideas popping up.

I am trying to have north -> south and south -> north traffic for a
logical_switch_port traverse a specific router gateway of my choosing. This
means: I don't want external traffic in any direction for this
logical_switch_port to pass through its pre-defined distributed gateway
router.

Some background: the logical_switch_port that I would like this to be done
for, is of type:"" (meaning it's connected to "A VM (or VIF) interface")
and is connected to a distributed gateway router local to the node the
logical_switch_port is hosted on. I have changed the type to "router" and
defined "options: router-port=...", and this is where I lose insight as to:

- How to configure the router-port correctly so that external traffic for
the logical_switch_port gets passed to it and properly routed afterwards
- If this is even the right approach?
- Is this possible to do only for north -> south / south -> north traffic.
And thus keep east -> west and vice versa intact?

Any ideas are welcomed.

Thanks in advance!
/Alexander