[ovs-discuss] OVS custom action

Luca Mancini luca.mancini at outlook.com
Fri Apr 24 14:50:43 UTC 2020

Hi,

I am trying to implement a new openflow action on an openvswitch, that upon request by the controller buffers a given packet.

So assume a topology like H1—s1--s2—H2 where h1 sends packets to h2, the controller would specify a BUFFER action to all packets going from h1 to h2
Making the s1 switch create a buffer where all these packets are stored until the buffer is full and then send the buffer (as a new packet) down the path to H2.
I have found very little material regarding the implementation of a new openflow action to ovs:

I followed this guide a little bit but I’m finding some things a bit confusing https://mcfelix.me/blog/modifying-ovs/
Some questions I have are:
-is this type of action possible?
-where exactly do I need to code the actual action function?
-how and where are packets defined in OVS? I’m having trouble understading if the packet I need to be storing is the sk_buff that is passed as a parameter or if it’s something else

Thanks in advance!