[ovs-discuss] ovn-k8s scale: how to make new ovn-controller process keep the previous Open Flow in br-int

Han Zhou zhouhan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 21:35:16 UTC 2020

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 1:56 PM Venugopal Iyer <venugopali at nvidia.com> wrote:

> Hi, Han:
>

> An additional comment;

We will still need the delay time to solve problem 1). As stated earlier,
solving problem 2) alone wouldn't help, because we would end up replacing
the flows too early before ovn-controller completes all required
iterations. For example, we may end up replacing the 200k+ flows with 100
flows while it would still compute the rest of the flows when a new SB
notification is coming. We still need the delay time to make sure that
ovn-controller performs the bundle operation not too early.

> *[vi> ] though ovn-controller needs to handle the case where the bundle op
> fails? Since it’ll revert all the flows to*
>
> *what it was before?*

OpenFlow transaction failures should be handled properly. I think this
should not be very different from how we handle a regular flow-add failure,
although there might be some specific handling here since the bundle
operation should happen only once.

Thanks,
Han