[ovs-discuss] Inquiry for DDlog status for ovn-northd

Dumitru Ceara dceara at redhat.com
Tue Aug 25 16:43:51 UTC 2020

On 8/25/20 6:01 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 04:28:22PM -0700, Han Zhou wrote:
>> As I remember you were working on the new ovn-northd that utilizes DDlog
>> for incremental processing. Could you share the current status?
>>
>> Now that some more improvements have been made in ovn-controller and OVSDB,
>> the ovn-northd becomes the more obvious bottleneck for OVN use in large
>> scale environments. Since you were not in the OVN meetings for the last
>> couple of weeks, could you share here the status and plan moving forward?
>
> The status is basically that I haven't yet succeeded at getting Red
> Hat's recommended benchmarks running.  I'm told that is important before
> we merge it.  I find them super difficult to set up.  I tried a few
> weeks ago and basically gave up.  Piles and piles of repos all linked
> together in tricky ways, making it really difficult to substitute my own
> branches.  I intend to try again soon, though.  I have a new computer
> that should be arriving soon, which should also allow it to proceed more
> quickly.

Hi Ben,

I can try to help with setting up ovn-heater, in theory it should be
enough to export OVS_REPO, OVS_BRANCH, OVN_REPO, OVN_BRANCH, make them
point to your repos and branches and then run "do.sh install" and it
should take care of installing all the dependencies and repos.

I can also try to run the scale tests on our downstream if that helps.

Regards,
Dumitru