[ovs-discuss] [ovs-dev] Question about supporting the OVS out-of-tree kernel drivers

Vitaly Mayatskikh vmayatskikh at digitalocean.com
Thu Dec 17 14:41:53 UTC 2020

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 6:55 AM Ilya Maximets <i.maximets at ovn.org> wrote:

IIRC, during the conference Han mentioned that they are relying on OOT
> module
> for STT support.  And I also noticed a patch from Vitaly to fix some issue
> in STT part of the kernel module.  Both CC-ed.
>
> Han, Vitaly, do you have some thoughts about deprecation of OOT kernel
> module and what is your usecase with STT?  Is it critical for you to have
> STT support here in upstream OVS?

We are planning to move away from STT. That, beside other benefits of not
using STT, will allow us to switch to the in-tree driver and solve the
often broken dependency chain: new hardware requires a new kernel that
requires a new OOT driver that is lagging behind the upstream version for
long enough for us to notice.

Thanks!