[ovs-discuss] Open vSwitch with Xen Server?

Michael Cropper michael.cropper at contradodigital.com
Wed Jan 8 22:02:40 UTC 2020

I should probably clarify. I can do whatever is recommended best practice. I've a physical test machine running Xen Server currently that I've been playing with, with full access to everything (physical hardware, HostOS, GuestOS' VMs to spin up etc.).

What is the recommended best practice approach? I've noticed within the Xen Server screen post-boot (when a monitor is plugged in), there is an option to configure a vSwitch against an IP address on there. I'm not fully sure what would happen under different scenarios (maybe I just need to have a play with the options...).

I assume based on what you've said, if OVS usually runs in the host, then the settings within Xen Server would point to it's own IP address once OVS is installed on the HostOS.

I'll give that a go initially and see how the two pieces of software interact. There seems to be very little up-to-date, authoritative and accurate information online about on how these different pieces of software work together.