[ovs-discuss] HA OVN "Central" as a kubernetes service

aginwala aginwala at asu.edu
Mon Jul 6 20:13:06 UTC 2020

Hi:

Adding the ML too. Folks from k8s can comment on the same to see if ovn-k8s
repo needs an update in the documentation for you to get the setup working
when using their specs as is without any code changes in addition to using
your own custom ovn images, etc. I am getting mail failure when adding
ovn-k8s google group as I think I don't have permission to post there. Also
the yaml specs and raft scripts have good comments which can give you a
clear idea too.

Also cc'd Girish who can comment further.

Also things like volumes(PV) for ovn central dedicated nodes, monitoring,
backing up ovn db,  etc. needs to be considered so that when the pod is
restarted or ovn version is upgraded, cluster settings are retained and
cluster health stats are also taken into consideration.

I got the design aspect of it sorted a week ago and had internal review too
cc Han as we do not use ovn as CNI too including some pending
containerizing items for ovn global dbs and ovn interconnect controller to
use for ovn interconnect. However, it's pending testing in k8s with all the
specs/tweaks due to some other priorities. As the approach taken by ovn-k8s
is succinct and already tested, it shouldn't be a bottleneck.

I agree that overall documentation needs to be consolidated on both ovn-k8s
side or ovn repo.