[ovs-discuss] [ovs-dev] OVN Controller Incremental Processing

Han Zhou hzhou at ovn.org
Fri Jul 24 00:47:17 UTC 2020

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 5:40 PM Tony Liu <tonyliu0592 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Han,
>
> Now, I have 4000 records in logical-switch table in nb-db, only 1567
records in datapath-binding
> table in sb-db. The translation was broken by a duplication (2 datapath
bindings point to the same
> logical-switch). Not sure how that happened. Anyways, I manually removed
this duplication.
> How can I trigger ovn-northd to finish the translation for all the rest
logical switches?

One thing you need to be aware of with many networks is that you probably
want to enable the option "ovn-monitor-all=true" on each HV node, to avoid
overloading the SB DB because of the big size of conditional monitoring
condition updates.

If you trigger any change to NB, ovn-northd will recompute everything. If
it doesn't complete the processing, there must be something wrong, and
there should be error logs.

ovs-discuss <ovs-discuss at openvswitch.org>
> Subject: Re: [ovs-dev] OVN Controller Incremental Processing
>

> On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 4:12 PM <tonyliu0592 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Han for the quick confirmation!
> > That says, when changes was made into nb-db, ovn-northd doesn't
recompile the whole db, instead, it only updates the increment into sb-db.
I am currently running some scaling test and seeing 100% CPU usage, hence
asking.

> Oh, no. The talk was about "OVN-controller", which is the component
running on hypervisors, to translate SB data into OVS flows, and this has
been implemented (although not all scenarios are incrementally processed).
For ovn-northd, it runs on central node to convert data from NB to SB DB,
and it is not incremental yet with incremental processing, so it is
expected to see 100% CPU. There is currently a work ongoing for ovn-northd
incremental processing, with DDlog, by Ben and Leonid.

https://www.slideshare.net/hanzhou1978/ovn-controller-incremental-processing
> > > Could anyone share an update on this?
> > >

> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Tony
> > >

> > Yes, it was released initially in OVS/OVN 2.12 (if I remember
correctly), and there have been more improvements added gradually since
then.