[ovs-discuss] [ovs-dev] OVN nb-db and sb-db election timer

Han Zhou zhouhan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 23:46:16 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 1:40 PM Tony Liu <tonyliu0592 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> During scaling test, when sb-db is busy, followers believe the leader is
dead and started election
> request. Some inconsistency happens during such leader switch. Two
datapath bindings are created
> for the same logical switch. To avoid such case, I was recommended to
increase election timer x10.
> 4K networks are created successfully with that setting.
>
> Is it necessary to set big election timer for nb-db as well? The nb-db
doesn't seem very busy during
> the test, sb-db is always busy and taking 90+% CPU.

NB-DB is usually not busy, but you can still adjust the timer according to
your use case.

> With that big election timer, in case real problem happens, like the
leader node goes down, is it going
> to take a while for the new leader to be elected?

Yes, it will take longer to detect real failures when election timer is
bigger. During the gap, control plane operations may be impacted/delayed,
but dataplane is not impacted - what's running will continue working, but
changes during this time will not be reflected until the failover is done.