[ovs-discuss] HA OVN "Central" as a kubernetes service

Brendan Doyle brendan.doyle at oracle.com
Thu Jun 25 14:14:51 UTC 2020

Hi,

So I'm trying to find information on setting up an OVN "Central/Master"
high availability (HA)
Not as Active-Backup with Pacemaker, but as a cluster. But I want to
deploy and manage that
cluster as a Kubernetes service .

I can find lots of stuff on "ovn-kube" but this seems to be using OVN as
a  kubernetes CNI instead of
Flannel etc.  But this is not what I want to do, I have a kubernetes
cluster using Flannel as the CNI,
now  I want to deploy a HA OVN "Central" as a kubernetes service. Kind
of like how you can deploy
a MySQL cluster in kubernetes using a SatefulSet deployment.

I have found this:
  https://github.com/ovn-org/ovn-kubernetes#readme

But it is not clear to me if this is how to setup OVN as a kubernetes
CNI or it's how to setup a HA
OVN central as kubernetes service.

Can anybody comment, has anyone done this?

I guess I could run an OVN central as standalone and use a kubernetes
deployment with 3
  replica sets and "export" as a NodePort service. And have a
floating/VIP on my kubernetes
nodes. And direct ovn-controllers to the VIP. So only the pod that holds
the VIP would service
requests. This would work and give HA, but you don't get the performance
of an OVN
clustered Database Model, where each OVN central could service requests.

Thanks

Rdgs
Brendan