[ovs-discuss] HA OVN "Central" as a kubernetes service

aginwala aginwala at asu.edu
Thu Jun 25 16:36:15 UTC 2020

Hi:

There are a couple of options as I have been exploring this too:

1. Upstream ovn-k8s patches (
https://github.com/ovn-org/ovn-kubernetes/commit/a07b1a01af7e37b15c2e5f179ffad2b9f25a083d)
uses statefulset and headless service for starting ovn central raft cluster
with 3 replicas. Cluster startup code and pod specs are pretty neat that
addresses most of the doubts.

OVN components have been containerized too to start them in pods. You can
also refer to
https://github.com/ovn-org/ovn/blob/d6b56b1629d5984ef91864510f918e232efb89de/Documentation/intro/install/general.rst
 for the same and use them to make it work in pod specs too.

2. Write a new ovn operator similar to etcd operator
https://github.com/coreos/etcd-operator which just takes the count of raft
replicas and does the job in the background.

I also added ovn-k8s group so they can comment on any other ideas too. Hope
it helps.