[ovs-discuss] [OVN] Multiple localnet ports on a single Logical Switch

Daniel Alvarez Sanchez dalvarez at redhat.com
Fri Mar 6 13:36:00 UTC 2020

Thanks a lot for your answer, Ben.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2020 at 9:21 PM Ben Pfaff <blp at ovn.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 04, 2020 at 04:01:22PM +0100, Daniel Alvarez Sanchez wrote:
> > As a possible alternative, we could support multiple localnet ports on
> the
> > same Logical Switch. In the first place, we can assume that on a
> particular
> > hypervisor, we're not going to have ports bound to multiple segments (ie.
> > on hv1 only ports on segment1 will be present, on hv2 only ports on
> > segment2 will be present and so on...). This way, ovn-controller can
> create
> > the patch-port to the provider bridge based on the local bridge-mappings
> > configuration on each hypervisor and the rest of the localnet ports will
> > have no effect.
>
> I don't see a big problem with this.
>
> If you implement it, be sure to update the documentation, since there
> are multiple places that talk about LSes with localnet ports having only
> two LSPs total.

Right, I noticed this and it's a great point.

I drew this little diagram [0] to show graphically the idea behind my
suggestion.
The idea is not to have multiple mappings for the same LS on a given
hypervisor as that'd make things trickier I believe. In the diagram, we
would not expect to have hv1 having both 'segment1:br-ex, segment2:br-ex2'.
As long as CMS ensures that only one localnet port is 'active' on a single
hv, I believe it should not be much trouble but perhaps I'm too optimistic
:)

[0] https://imgur.com/a/0Tt9nvI