[ovs-discuss] [OVN] newbie to start

Lucas Alvares Gomes lucasagomes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 15:15:35 UTC 2020

Hi Dan,

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 3:00 PM Daniel Alvarez Sanchez
<dalvarez at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> This is a question that should've gone to the OpenStack mailing list [0] instead.
> Let me reply inline anyways.

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 1:44 PM Dan Porokh via discuss <ovs-discuss at openvswitch.org> wrote:
>>
>> Dear colleagues,
>>
>> I'm new to the OVN and, after reading comparison with classical OVS
>> (https://docs.openstack.org/networking-ovn/train/faq/index.html),
>> decided to try it in my next Openstack installation.
>>
>> There is a long list of useful links at OVN information page at
>> https://docs.openstack.org/networking-ovn/train/admin/ovn.html but links
>> to tutorials (#3 and #4 parts of the list) are broken, while many other
>> links looks pretty old (latest are 2016-2017).
>

> Please, check the latest doc [1] which should be more updated.
>
> Thanks for reporting those, I just sent a patch [2] to fix the broken links as we just moved the docs to docs.ovn.org (today actually).
>
> The one in stable/train branch (which you linked) is also broken and needs to be addressed. If you want to fix it you can always send a patch [3] to networking-ovn on the stable/train branch [4].
>
> Hope it helps,
> Daniel
>
> [1] https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/latest/admin/ovn/index.html
> [2] https://review.opendev.org/#/c/714133/
> [3] https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html
> [4] https://github.com/openstack/networking-ovn/tree/stable/train
>

>> So, my question is the try to save time, asking community for the recent
>> info on how to start with OVN with Openstack :-) I will appreciate if
>> anybody can either give some useful links like missing ones from
>> Openstacks' "OVN information" page which can help or confirm that
>> available links on the page are still a right point to start.

Probably the quickest way to start with OpenStack and OVN is to deploy
DevStack. Here's a guide you can follow to do that:
https://docs.openstack.org/neutron/latest/contributor/testing/ovn_devstack.html
[0]

[0] I noticed the path to the .sample file is broken in this guide,
I've put a patch fixing it: https://review.opendev.org/#/c/714140

Cheers,
Lucas